WHAT: With some recent generous sponsorship of a donor, we are able to offer the 10-day BAYFEST Virtual “Shakespeare Bootcamp” for FREE, and the full-tuition cost for the 2-week Summer Drama Camp Intensive is $650US. Full and partial scholarships are available, based on need, for the Drama Camp Intensive, and we encourage all to apply who are interested. Scholarship application form can be found here. Since the “Shakespeare Bootcamp” program will be virtual, location of participants is not an issue, as long as we can work out time zone differences. Classes will generally be between about 9:30 and 12:30 Pacific Time. The program will end with a recorded and edited performance by the participants that will be posted and sent to the many hundreds of our subscribers and friends. The in-person Summer Drama Camp will be located in the West Seattle area of Seattle, WA, and we will also accept applications from out-of-area participants, who will receive host family accommodations as part of the program. Teachers are top professional actors, musicians and choreographers, and classes cover acting, movement, voice/speech, stage combat and self-expression. Both programs will be filled with hard work, fun, discovery, and building your performance and storytelling skills in a very professional atmosphere.
WHO: The program is open to students ages 14-19 (though we will occasionally accept younger participants on a case-by-case basis) who have a strong interest in learning acting, movement and related skills. Previous experience is NOT required. For more information on out-of-area applications, please email us at: BAYFESTyouthTheatre@gmail.com with the subject line: “Summer 2021”.
Program application includes:
- Completed Application form
- One audition video if you are not attending an in-person audition (can be a cell phone video.
- Scholarship form if you are applying.
You are strongly encouraged to submit your completed application form as soon as possible, as we accept participants on a rolling admissions basis — meaning that there will be fewer available spots as the application deadline approaches.
We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 48 hours. Please contact us if you do not hear back from us in that timeframe.
The Application Form
- Download the BAYFEST Application Form and Information sheet. It is available in .pdf or .doc format.
- You can complete it either by typing on your computer or filling the fields by hand and then scan or photograph it to send electronically
- Video cannot be uploaded to our website or sent by email. You will need to post it online to YouTube, Vimeo, etc. and provide us the link on the application form.
- applications must be send by email to BAYFESTyouthTheatre@gmail.com (preferred) or by mail to BAYFEST Youth Theatre, 4050 20th Avenue SW, Ste. B, Seattle WA, 98106, USA
The Audition Video
An audition video must be submitted as part of your application, although it can be sub. It must include:
- One short monologue, song, or poem, under one and a half minutes long.
- A personal section, where we get to know you (see more about the video below).
- It’s fine to film your audition using your phone as long as we can clearly see you (head-and-shoulders shot is best).
- Upload to a video- or file-sharing site like YouTube.com / Vimeo.com / YouSendIt.com / WeTransfer.com / DropBox.com — it will be too big to send via email!
- EITHER include the video URL in the space provided on the application, OR email us the video link separately.
Tips on Making Your Audition Video
Don’t get too fancy! You can use your cell phone or other video camera, and we don’t need costumes, backgrounds or music soundtracks.
We want to get to know the REAL YOU in your audition video. This means that choosing a very “charactery” piece (something much older or different in type than you) for your monologue is probably not a good idea. Because Summer 2019 will involve a lot of physical theatre techniques, anything you can do to show those skills in your audition video can be a help.
In the rest of the video, we want to learn more about you than is already in your essay and resume — BE CREATIVE and BE YOURSELF! Applicants have done this in a variety of ways, from talking directly to the camera, to giving us tours of their house or car, introducing us to their families, friends, stuffed animals. Some have interviewed other people about themselves to give us a sense of their personality – whatever you do, you should keep in mind that WE DON’T KNOW YOU and we want to.
Sometimes we ask applicants to submit something more, but give it your best shot the first time. If you have specific questions about something you want to do, you may email us at BAYFESTyouthTheatre@gmail.com, but ALMOST ANYTHING goes! We will NEVER share your videos with anyone else or reveal what is in them without your express permission, so feel free to share secrets if you feel you want to – again, we want to see the REAL, most interesting and HONEST you. One suggestion before you decide what to do is to ask family and friends (even enemies!) what THEY think are your most interesting and genuine qualities.
We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 48 hours. Please contact us if you do not hear back from us in that time-frame.
After You’ve Been Accepted
If you are accepted into one of the BAYFEST Seattle 2021 programs, you will need fill out the Participant Information Form/Survey that we will send to you.